Saturday, March 19, 2011

VA - Indigo Shades Vol.2 + Nigel One Interview


"In 2009 Indigo Pyramid formed as a collective of 6 experimental beat producers consisting of Infinite Potentials, Billion Dollar Quartet, eLan, 10th Letter, Nigel One and Zeroh aka Zeroh G7. In Feb. 2010 they independently released there first compilation Indigo Shades. The release instantly became a cult hit among fans of the present "beat scene culture". Since the release of Indigo Shades each individual within the collective has released music and continued performing as individuals. Collaborations have continued within the collective as well and the fruits of that shall appear within the year. No one knows what will come next from the collective but there has been rumor of Indigo Pyramid becoming it's own label imprint over the course of 2011"



This week Nigel One of Indigo Pyramid stops by the confessional....



  • Sunday Morning: Name your 3 biggest life influences... why?

  Nigel One: My 3 biggest influences are my parents,phsycadelic drugs and the music of John Coltrane. My parents were my earliest influence. My father has always been a big listener of all types of music especially classical and jazz music. He always kept music around me as a child and recognized early how drawn I was to music. My mother is a pianist and always had me dancing and singing as a child. Both of my parents gave me the freedom to listen to any music I wanted to and didn't shelter me from bad lyrics or messages in music. They always provided me with instruments to play music as well as helping me buy the first tapes,records and cds that sculpted my taste in music. John Coltranes music completely changed the way I listened to music. My mother gave me a cassette copy of A Love Supreme in my easter basket when I was in 5th grade. Before this album was in my life I was strictly into aggressive music like heavy metal and gangsta rap but the mellow spiritual vibes of A Love Supreme changed my taste almost completely overnight. The melodies on the album opened up my ears and I began letting music into my soul instead of just my head. Phsycadelic drug use was a huge influence on my music and my way of thinking in general. At an early age I was attracted to negative things and had a fuck the system way of thinking. I was hanging around older kids and doing dumb street kid type of shit early on. I tried lsd in 6th grade and it opened up a whole new part of me. It was like I knew my purpose and was no longer bothered by all of the walls around me. I felt free. I conitnued using the drug as well as others that were like it throughout middle and high school. it was like fast paced learning and very spiritual to me for some time. Unfortunately I abused it and it soon warped my head a lil bit. I no longer use the drugs and now use other non chemical forms of meditation and thought to receive the results I once got from lsd. One major thing the lsd did was shape my taste in music. I began searching for more creative and leftfield music.

  • SM: Verbally portray your sound....

N: boom clap boom sika clap boom boom clap sika sika boom clap.

  • SM: Describe Asheville in tweet format (less than 140 characters, twitter-related abbreviations)
N: Peripheral and Nigel One live @ ???#webroke #smokedout #damnhippies #skewrecords
  • SM: If you were given the opportunity to collaborate with any artisan (visual, audible, edible).... who? .... why?

 N: Toro y Mois because I feel so connected to his music and I feel like he adds what I may be leaving out in music. 
  • SM:  If you could teach listeners one thing through inspiration drawn from your music what would it be?
 N: Love is the answer to all of our problems. 
  • SM: If you could right one wrong in the world, what would it be?
N: Racism
  • SM: Up until this moment in time, what has been your best MacGyver moment...
N: My first date with my wife. We were at this show @ this club I was resident dj at at that time. I snapped my fingers and the owners brought me a bottle of wine. Then my wife was like I'm ready to go. We stepped outside and I snapped my fingers at a passing cab and it stopped. I def looked waay cooler than I really am for that one night.

  • SM: If you stood to inherit a large sum of currency, but only under the circumstances you spent it all on something outrageously stupid, what would it be?
N: Tacos
  • SM: What are 5 albums you keep in rotation...
N: John Coltrane- A Love Supreme 
Toro y Mois-Causers of This 
The Bucketheads-All in the Mind 
Grateful Dead-Anthem of the Sun 
Dwele-Subject
  • SM: Define Success... 
 N: Success to me would to be able to make enough money off of my music to feed my family and continue growing as a musician. Really I have a wonderful wife and a great kid and another one on the way so I feel successful already.  But on the fantasy success tip I'd love to live in SoCal in the winter,Asheville in the summer and own my own plane and pilot.

 New Nigel One album dropping on bandcamp Spring 2011, don't sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment



https://soundcloud.com/sahasraramusic
http://laundryandluggage.tumblr.com/