this week Coco Bryce shares some insight...
- Sunday Morning: Name your 3 biggest life influences... why?
Coco Bryce: music, skateboarding and love..
skating: because however long i go without it, i always come back to it.. it has, to a certain extent, influenced the way i dress, who i hang out with and the music i listen to as well.. i think i must have gotten half of my musical "education" through skate videos..
music: i don't think i need to explain that one.. omnipresent in my life..
love: it's damn cheesy to say, but both the good and the bad things about love can make me forget a whole lotta other stuff that goes on around me.. basic human stuff i guess..
- SM: Verbally portray your sound....
- SM: Now describe Coco Bryce in tweet format (less than 140 characters, twitter-related abbreviations)
CB: i don't like twitter really.. too little space to say what i want..
- SM: If you were given the opportunity to collaborate with any artisan (visual, audible, edible).... who? .... why?
CB: musical collabos usually tend to turn to shit with me, so i'll go with teaming up with Keith Hufnagel to design a one-off hella swag 5 panel HUF cap.. silly but functional..
- SM: If you could teach listeners one thing through inspiration drawn from your music what would it be?
CB: nothing.. i don't like it when artists try to teach me something through their music, so why would i want to do that myself.. in my opinion, music should just be music and shouldn't involve any teaching or messages..
however, giving people inspiration to go and be creative, do their own music and whatnot, is nice.. but no teaching.. there are schools for that..
- SM: Somewhere you draw much inspiration from...
CB: going abroad.. just being away from everyday life, you know.. going to a McDonalds restaurant in another country, exotic stuff like that.. getting drunk with complete strangers and then channelling those experiences into a 3 minute instrumental tune..
- SM: Fondest musical memory.
CB: riding my skateboard in the Energiehal in Rotterdam way back when, whilst listening to "The Power" by "Snap" pumping out of the soundsystem.. just going round and round and round, feeling genuinely happy and thankful to be there..
- SM: Fill in the blanks: ____________ would ______ if __________
CB: i know you WOULD not have asked me to make a tape for your blog IF you'd have known i would put 5 Madonna tunes in there
- SM: 24 hours to kill in Breda, Netherlands...
CB: visit me to have some noodles, go to Bonk for a new pair of trousers, cup of coffee and random chit chat and then at night off to De Boulevard to spin some tunes and down some lager..
- SM: Define Success...
CB: not being jealous.. just being content with what you have..