Saturday, October 1, 2011

Handbook - Chuuch Podcast VI + Interview






Handbook tears some pages with us...



  • Sunday Morning: Name your 3 biggest life influences... why?


Handbook: Hmmm, it's hard really, narrowing all my influences down to three, but I would say Free The Robots, because after hearing "Ctrl Alt Delete" I bought my first piece of equipment (MPC 1000) and started making beats. I didn't really know the best way to use it til I heard J Dilla, my second influence, and saw how I could craft beats and manipulate samples. I've never heard any one take a sample like he did and make it feel so right. My third influence would be soundcloud. Hearing what people have done, and what they are doing at that very moment inspires me to create what will be.

  • SM: Verbally portray your sound....


HB: Simplicity, warmth, soul, swing.

  • SM: Now describe FOUNDBEATS tweet format (less than 140 characters, twitter-related abbreviations)


HB: it is a place where i sometimes put my new favourite beats, but mostly end up putting my own ish there #trynamoveforward

  • SM:  If you were given the opportunity to collaborate with any artisan (visual, audible, edible).... who? .... why?


HB: theres a lot of brilliantly talented people out there, making moves and making things happen and there is a lot i would love to be interested in. I would love to work with Brainfeeder. Forward thinking, sick artwork and artists. Inspirational.

  • SM: If you could teach listeners one thing through inspiration drawn from your music what would it be?


HB: "Simplicity is more complex than it first seems. It needs to be refined and powerful to be more than basic" I'm not saying my music is any of that, but i would love to convey that in what i produce

  • SM: Favorite sample ever utilized...


HB: David Oliver - Summer Love. There were hundreds of things I could have done with that track. It' so beautiful and well crafted. Beauty right there.

  • SM: Something you are working on becoming better at besides music...


HB: I'm currently working as a teaching assistant and I am training to become a better one. A better person and role model. Just better myself, really.

  • SM: Fill in the blanks: ________was ________ and it was __________


HB: Life was dull and it was because I wasn't making music :)

  • SM: 24 hours to kill in York...


HB: Be cultured and find out about the rich history of york, visit the museums and visit the minster. then go out at night and go a bit crazy in all the bars!

  • SM: Define Success...


HB: I personally think, that success is accomplishing what you have set out to achieve. I wanted to achieve two things: make beats that i wanted to listen to, and make living from it. not mega rich, just enough to make music for a living.

No comments:

Post a Comment



https://soundcloud.com/sahasraramusic
http://laundryandluggage.tumblr.com/