Friday, April 22, 2011

Weirddough - Interview





This week Weirddough stops thru.....


  • Sunday Morning: Name your 3 biggest life influences... why?

Weirddough: The first would probably be Gza's Liquid Swords album. My sister was dating a rapper (Vega) when I lived back in Oxnard, and he owned the cd. I think I was in fifth grade when I first listened to that album. This was the era when Diddy was Puff Daddy, everyone went crazy over him and Mase. When I heard Gza's raw ass lyrics over Rza's beats, my mind exploded. It was a total mentalflip and that's when I became a child of Hip Hop. I've been a head ever since. Second influence is where I came from; Oxnard, California. A lot of natives from this small farm town became major artists that I loved to listen to. Artists like Madlib, Oh No, Kan Kick, DJ Romes, Medaphoar, The Lootpack, Funk Farm, etc... Most of these cats were on Stones Throw, and all of them were ill. Even though I currently reside in Las Vegas, I will forever represent the Ox to the fullest. My third influence is my father. He never had the money to buy vinyls back in the day, so all he did was record tons and tons of music with cassette tapes. I have a garage full of boxes with mad gems from the 70s. I was obsessed with this fusion tape that featured Ahmad Jamal and that one joint "De Ja Vu", and couldn't stop playing it. I get my musical taste from my pops, and when you hear my beats you hear my father as well.

  • SM: Verbally portray your sound....
W: "Sounds like music you'd hear in an elevator" (like everyone says), with a generous dose of hip hop.

  • SM: Describe weirddough in tweet format (less than 140 characters, twitter-related abbreviations)
W: youtakeforeverwithcollabs! #freakinweirddough

  • SM: If you were given the opportunity to collaborate with any artisan (visual, audible, edible).... who? .... why?
W: MADLIB. Nuff sed.
  • SM: If you could teach listeners one thing through your music what would it be?
W: Making beats wasn't my first love. I've been rapping ever since, I just never got a mic. I had a few tracks recorded from years ago, but I lost all the files because my iPod got all f@#$%d up. 

  • SM: Something I would want to do in Las Vegas, that I wouldn't know about unless you had told me, would be.... 
W: Eating a deep fried twinkie or deep fried oreos for one dollar at Nathan's here on Fremont Street. One of the best things I've eaten in my life. I'm a fat boy that loves food. Holler for a dollar.
  • SM: __________ can be __________ unless ___________
W: Any rap verse is cool unless you use your blackberry to read rhymes.
  • SM: Strangest thing that has inspired you?
W: I tried to replicate a beat I heard in one of my dreams. It was a fail because I forgot what it sounded like after a few minutes.
  • SM: What is the worst movie you've ever seen?
W: Dumb and Dumberer. The sequel to my favorite movie of all time was the biggest let down of all time.

  • SM: Define Success...

W: accomplishing your wildest dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment



https://soundcloud.com/sahasraramusic
http://laundryandluggage.tumblr.com/