Friday, February 11, 2011

Mux Mool - Drum 2 EP


"I made the first Drum EP in 2007. At that time I wasn't sure if I was going to continue making beats at all. I had only released one song, and despite how well "Lost and Found" had done, I just wasn't sure if this was the path I was going on. A good friend of mine, Medium Zach from Big Quarters (link) suggested I challenge myself to make one beat every day for a week. I took him up on his challenge and did just that. 7 lo fi hip hop beats.
In 2010 I found myself in a similar funk, only this time I was traveling quite a bit. I decided that I wanted to challenge myself again. This time, I couldn't really do 7 songs in 7 days, and I wanted to improve in quality from the songs on the first Drum EP, but stay true to the nature of beat-making challenges. So, this EP is all songs I made while on a plane.
I think the first time you ever fly it can be very inspiring. To be high above, seeing clouds and what not. But when you start flying all the time, it becomes far less so. Actually, traveling in general can be rather soul sucking if you don't properly prepare yourself. So this is an exercise in trying to remain inspired and present at a time when there is only frustration and anxiety and crying babies and snoring people and bad smells and stale air and delays and loneliness all around you. I found that focusing myself on this project help get me through many uncomfortable layovers and redeye flights.
Also, I should say that all these beats were started on planes, and a bulk of the work for these was done, on a plane, or in an airport, but final mixing was actually done at home."
 


No comments:

Post a Comment



https://soundcloud.com/sahasraramusic
http://laundryandluggage.tumblr.com/